Monday, April 13, 2009

Jambalaya, Crawfish Pie, Me Oh My Oh...

I am absolutely enthralled with the South. Ever since I was little I have had this complete fascintation with anything Southern. I've made my cousins cook gumbo with me while drinking mint juleps and listening to French creole music in the background. I even dressed as Scarlett O'Hara for Halloween when I was in 4th grade.

Therefore, it is no suprise that my favorite area in Disneyland is New Orlean's Square, which is home to the Pirates of the Carribean and the Haunted Mansion. The area is fashioned after 19th century New Orleans. The attention to detail that Disney's Imagineers put into creating the streets and building of New Orleans Square is enough to make you feel las if you've left Anaheim, CA and ended up in Louisiana.

Beside the beautiful architecture of the faux-homes that line the "streets" of New Orleans Square, visitors can take the Southern experience one step further by catching Mardi Gras beads thrown by Queenie and the Jambalaya Jazz Band. Keep your shirts on though, this is Disneyland after all.

To top it off, you can make reservations at the Blue Bayou Restaurant, which serves cajun-creole meals such as jambalaya and gumbo. The restaurant is located in the Pirates of the Carribean and feels as if you are dining by moonlight next to a southern bayou. The sound of a banjo, crickets, and frogs add to the ambience.

So while Disney's version of New Orleans may not be exactly what you'll find in the real city today, this is as close as a poor college student is going to get to living out my "Southern belle dream" for now.









No comments:

Post a Comment